Sunday, February 15, 2015

Week two or too weak?

Es la segunda semana de mi aventura y aquí estoy. Ok, that's enough for now. Is it too early to hit a wall? I was walking outside today by one of the thousand parks in Costa Rica and it hit me that I'm actually doing this; I'm in a foreign country, living with complete strangers, taking classes at a new school, and I'm doing this. I also reflected on the fact that I am so blessed to have this opportunity. I know blessed is overused by my generation, but it perfectly describes how I feel. I'm blessed to have my health that allows me to travel, I'm blessed to have parents that help support me, and I'm blessed to have a God that didn't stay behind in the US while I made my way to tropical temperatures. During the past two weeks, I have been trying to sort my emotions and prepare myself for what is to come next. I'm a planner, I love making lists, and I enjoy having control over situations. Forget that! Before I came to Costa Rica, I prayed that God would change me, mold me, and use me for His plan. Low and behold, He's already started. Imagine that;) There are challenges I face everyday. I wake up not knowing what the day will hold, but knowing who holds the day. I think the biggest thing for me that I've had trouble adjusting to is the lack of accessibility I face. Back in the states, I can hop in my car and go wherever I want. I can walk outside at night by myself to go to a friend's apartment without needing a male chaperone. I can pick what I want to eat from our cafeteria based on what I'm in the mood for. Not here, though! I know I sound like a spoiled brat, but it has been something that I'm working on. I even took my first public bus ride the other day! *Side note: the bus driver, who was driving a manual bus, happened to be talking on his cellphone for most of my trip. How reassuring.
But enough of that, here's a brief recap of my week:

Sunday, Beighlie and I decided to go to the mall so we grabbed our body guards (Stephen and Brandon) and took our first Costa Rican taxi. I'm pretty sure when I stepped inside, I heard the hallelujah chorus; it was like walking into an American mall. (I should say a United States mall because some take offense here that the USA isn't the only America but whatever, it's my blog, I'll say what I want.) They have a Forever 21 which I have kind of outgrown, but it was still refreshing to see. There was also a store called 'Springfield' and it actually had nice things in it! That was a little smile from God. 



Monday through Thursday basically consisted of me being beat up mentally by Spanish. It's not that it's super hard, it's the moments when you're learning something you've already learned but figuring out you learned it incorrectly or not completely that make it defeating.  

Fiesta Friday & Siesta Saturday! I had my first exam and went to PriceSmart (which is basically a Sam's Club). I don't know why, but I've been craving anything and everything from the US. I feel like such a fatty. Who knew a person could miss peanut butter so much?!?! My TM threw a little fiesta for my Tican sister's boyfriend's birthday. It was my second birthday party here. They're pretty much the same as the US. Saturday, Valentine's Day, our group went to Jenna's house and made cookies. There were lots of laughs and a lot of cookie bashing. 

I didn't have any exciting trips this weekend, but that's ok because I needed a little break. This past weekend, we visited Volcán Irazú. It's the tallest volcano in Central America! It was refreshing to get out of the neighborhood and see the beauty that Costa Rica has to offer. 





That's all for now! I'm excited for the next post because it'll be about my trip to Monte Verde! Thanks for all the support. Keep on praying for me!




No comments :

Post a Comment